Forums - Cottages & Bungalows  

Go Back   Forums - Cottages & Bungalows > Decorating

Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
mac78
Super Moderator

Default How to remove shower door track

About 22 years ago we put shower doors up in our tub/shower combo. I should say we had it hired done. I want to take them off and just have a shower curtain. We do not have a water softener, and it is a constant struggle keeping them clean, and no one in this house but me ever takes care of them, and I am tired of it.

So, it appears that all I would do is unscrew the shower track that is on all four edges. The bath/shower are all tiled, so I know there will be a few holes that were drilled to hold the track that will have to be filled.

How difficult is it to remove the door frames. Am I going to find myself in a mess if I try this myself. Never done it before, but honestly doesn't look that hard.

Last edited by mac78; 01-18-2010 at 08:40 AM.
mac78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
ChapterTwo

I always remember a co-worker's complaints about cleaning the tracks with a toothbrush, but have never had shower doors, myself.

I can't offer much help except to say I've seen them removed on HGTV and as you said...it doesn't seem that difficult, Marie.

Here's a tutorial I found online. Good luck with it!
http://www.ehow.com/how_2251596_unin...or-tracks.html
ChapterTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
MaryK

Default Shower Doors

I need the answer to this also. I hate my shower doors --- too hard to keep clean.
MaryK
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
mac78
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
I need the answer to this also. I hate my shower doors --- too hard to keep clean.
MaryK
I know, our bathroom seem to always be "damp", I am constantly struggling to keep mildew off the grout. I just told hubby I was taking them off and he says why,,,,,,,,and I said because I am the only one in this house with the brains to clean the shower doors and I am sick of them and am done. lol
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
mac78
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link Chapter two. I did read another do it place to NOT use a crowbar because it can damage the tub.

I am going to do it and Ashley is going to help me. First to decide on a color and curtain. Oh wait, first to get the door off. lol
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
ChapterTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac78 View Post
First to decide on a color and curtain. Oh wait, first to get the door off. lol

HaHa! First things first...

My advice would be the same as with any project. Work on it when you're not rushed, so you can take your time, and think everything through before you do it. (Sort of like the "measure twice/cut once" rule.)

You'll be so happy with the change that a pretty shower curtain can give your bathroom.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
memmey

I wonder if there will some sort of chaulking under the metal strip?
I think you can get plugs to insert into the screw holes and I would put a waterproof adhesive into the holes before putting the plug in. You don't want ANY kind of water even if it is ever so slight to get into the the holes.

Ok I'm gonna add this again...LOL If you will dry the shower walls and tub before getting out after a shower you will never have mildew or scum. I am sending this out into the universe and maybe my son will hear it!!!!!! I had to dynamite his shower when he moved out . I would rather wash an extra towel than scrub the shower.

5 Word Decor Style....Vintage/Old Louisiana/Bohemian/Thrift Shop/Quirky Collector...
memmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
vintage girl

I keep a squeegie in my shower and it only takes less than a minute to wipe down the shower doors. We do not have tile, we have a one-piece shower surround that looks like marble. Very easy maintenance. Everyone knows in our house that if you do not wipe down the shower doors, mama is not going to be happy. And if mama is not happy, you will not be happy. I guarantee it

eclectic, vintage, cottage, rustic, re-purposed
vintage girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #9
ChapterTwo

Welcome, jennifermilly! There is a lot of good info here and wonderful people; I hope you come back often.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
memmey

Alex we had a post conversation about this a while ago. I think we decided that there will be residue glue to clean off and the holes to fill. You may have a slight discoloration where the frame of the doors was but it may not be too noticable. If the window is great will never notice the shadow from the frame. Be sure and fill the holes with a good quality waterproof sealer. If you get water under that tub it will be bad news.

5 Word Decor Style....Vintage/Old Louisiana/Bohemian/Thrift Shop/Quirky Collector...
memmey is offline   Reply With Quote